Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has finally spoken out following the deadly clashes that took place between police officers and civilians in Angara Barrikoi, Narok County.
Describing the incident as tragic and deeply regrettable, Murkomen confirmed that investigations had been launched to uncover the full sequence of events that led to the violent confrontation between law enforcement and the local community.
The CS, who spent most of his day working with security teams from regions frequently troubled by banditry, revealed that five police officers suffered serious injuries during the chaos.
These injuries were allegedly caused by civilians attacking the officers.
In addition, Murkomen disclosed that five police vehicles were set on fire during the violent exchange. “First and foremost, let me say this is a very sad event because our main responsibility is to protect life. No situation should ever escalate to the point where lives are lost,” Murkomen said.
“From the reports we have received so far, five civilians have died, and five police officers have been injured. One officer, sadly, has a critical injury after being struck in the head with an arrow.”
The violence, which broke out on Monday, is said to have been sparked by a land ownership dispute. Local residents were reportedly protesting over historical claims to the disputed land.
What started as peaceful demonstrations quickly turned into deadly confrontations, resulting in the deaths of several civilians.
Murkomen emphasized that investigations had only just begun and assured the public that everyone involved in the tragic incident — including any police officers found to have acted improperly — would be held accountable.
He stated, “The investigations are not yet complete because we must carefully determine the exact circumstances under which the civilians lost their lives.
We need to establish whether the police acted lawfully and what justified the use of such force.”
He continued, “The investigations will also identify those who attacked police officers. Additionally, we will take firm action against anyone found to have incited violence or encouraged the use of excessive force.”
Murkomen further hinted that the violence may have been fueled by false information and fear-mongering about the land issue.
He reassured the residents that the government had no plans to take their land and urged them not to fall for what he termed as “misguided propaganda.”
Meanwhile, the situation in Angara Barrikoi remained tense into Monday evening. Murkomen warned residents against taking part in more nighttime protests, saying it would only make the situation worse.
He also announced that a heavy police presence would be maintained in the area throughout Monday night to help restore calm and prevent any further escalation of violence.
Join Our Political Forum official 2025 WhatsApp Channel To Stay Updated On time https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30