President William Ruto has assured Kenyans that he is ready to accept defeat if he loses the upcoming general elections set for August 2027.
While addressing residents in Othaya, Nyeri County, on Saturday, April 5, Ruto said he would humbly return to his rural home and focus on farming if Kenyans decide not to re-elect him.
The President made these remarks during his tour of the Mt Kenya region, where he was inspecting various government development projects, including the ongoing affordable housing program.
Ruto expressed confidence in his ability to secure another term, saying he is fully prepared to compete fairly with his political opponents.
However, he emphasized that the current focus should be on delivering services to Kenyans and not engaging in premature political campaigns.
“Let everyone concentrate on their duties for now. When the right time for elections comes in 2027, Kenyans will judge us based on our performance.
Whoever has passed the test will be given another chance, and whoever fails will peacefully leave office. There is no need to start political fights this early. I have completed the tasks I was given,” Ruto said.
He added, “I know the exam is coming. You, the people, will be the ones to mark it. If I pass, I will continue with my work. If I fail, I will accept it and go back to farming. That’s the beauty of democracy.”
While taking a swipe at the opposition, President Ruto said he believes Kenyans will vote for him again based on the development projects he has implemented and the efforts made by other government leaders. He called on critics to give him the space and time to fulfill the promises he made to the people.
During his visit, the President was accompanied by several senior government officials, including some Cabinet Secretaries.
He took the opportunity to announce a number of development plans for Nyeri residents, including the construction of modern markets, expansion of electricity connections, and improvements in the road infrastructure.
His firm statements come in response to recent attacks from the opposition, particularly from former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua.
Gachagua, speaking in Kiserian, Kajiado County on Thursday, March 27, accused President Ruto of repeatedly lying to Kenyans and breaking the promises he made during the last campaign.
Gachagua, who has turned into a fierce critic of the President since he was impeached by the Senate in October last year, also claimed that he was misled into supporting Ruto.
He publicly apologized to Kenyans, saying he now regrets backing the current administration.
“I ask for your forgiveness. This man lied to me too. He presented himself as a God-fearing leader, carrying a Bible and pretending to be honest.
But later, I discovered that he was pretending to be something he’s not. He made many promises, but most of them turned out to be lies.
He told us he would give us money, but instead, he took away the little that we had,” Gachagua told the crowd.
The political tension between Ruto and Gachagua seems to be escalating, with both leaders now taking their differences to public rallies as they prepare for the 2027 election season.
Join Gen z and millennials TaskForce official 2025 WhatsApp Channel To Stay Updated On time the ongoing situation https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30