President William Ruto has broken his silence on the ongoing troubles facing former Cabinet Secretary Raphael Tuju, strongly criticising what he described as political exploitation of Tuju’s situation.
While addressing residents during a public rally in Migori on Tuesday, March 24, the Head of State accused some opposition figures of misleading Tuju at a time when he is facing serious personal and legal challenges.
According to Ruto, certain individuals allegedly advised Tuju to stage-manage an abduction in order to gain sympathy and political mileage.
“Recently, they went and lied to Tuju. They even told him to lock himself in his bedroom and act as if he had been abducted. Just imagine that,” Ruto claimed while speaking to the crowd.
The President stressed that Tuju needs genuine support and honest counsel rather than individuals who may be taking advantage of his difficulties for their own interests.
He noted that the former Jubilee Secretary General is in a vulnerable position and should be surrounded by people who can guide him truthfully and help him resolve his issues.
“Tuju needs honest friends and proper advice. He should be helped to overcome his challenges. What he does not need are opportunists trying to benefit from a fellow citizen’s misfortune,” Ruto added.
At the same time, the President took aim at opposition leaders, including former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua and Kalonzo Musyoka, accusing them of attempting to use Tuju’s situation for political gain.
He urged them to step back and allow space for a proper and constructive resolution to the matter.
Ruto also warned against dragging former President Uhuru Kenyatta into the controversy, saying his name was being unfairly mentioned in connection with the unfolding events.
“Some people are chasing popularity by taking advantage of others’ problems. What we want is for Tuju to receive the right advice so that his property and interests can be protected,” Ruto said.
He further criticised what he termed as “conmen” for allegedly linking Uhuru Kenyatta to the issue without justification.
The President’s remarks come shortly after officers from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) arrested Tuju over claims that he had staged his own abduction.
The arrest followed days of uncertainty after Tuju was reported missing since Saturday.
Tuju was later taken to Karen Police Station on Monday afternoon. His lawyers, however, raised concerns about how the arrest was conducted, alleging that he was handled roughly by officers and sustained injuries during the process.
Speaking to the media, DCI Director Mohamed Amin confirmed the arrest and provided details of the investigation.
He stated that Tuju had remained at his home throughout the period he was reported missing, even as detectives were actively searching for him.
Following the arrest and the unfolding legal drama, Tuju’s condition reportedly worsened while in custody. His legal team claimed that his health deteriorated significantly, prompting urgent medical attention.
As a result, the former CS was rushed to Karen Hospital, where he is currently receiving treatment. His lawyers maintain that the situation raises serious concerns about his wellbeing and the circumstances surrounding his arrest.
The incident has now sparked a wider political debate, with leaders trading accusations over the handling of the matter, even as questions continue to emerge about what exactly transpired during the period Tuju was said to be missing.
Join Kenya Govt Official WhatsApp Channel to stay updated on time
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30

