The High Court has issued a firm directive to the Inspector General of Police, Douglas Kanja, and the Director of Criminal Investigations, Amin Mohammed, to present missing activist and blogger Ndiangui Kinyagia before the court.
High Court Judge Chacha Mwita made the ruling on June 30, giving the top police officers until tomorrow to either produce Kinyagia or appear in court themselves to explain why the activist cannot be presented.
The court further directed that if Kinyagia is still being held, the IG must give a detailed explanation as to why he has not been taken to court, even after being held for more than ten days.
Kinyagia disappeared just days before the highly anticipated June 25 protests, which he had been actively involved in planning.
On June 19, he posted a message on his X (formerly Twitter) account, outlining the protest agenda. His post included plans to march to State House and announce the formation of a new republic, a bold move that sparked public interest and controversy.
However, on the evening of June 24—just a day before the protests—reports emerged that Ndiangui was missing. Concerns quickly spread among fellow activists and supporters, with many fearing he had been abducted because of his outspoken views and activism.
Online campaigns began under the hashtag #FreeNdianguiKinyagia, as human rights defenders and social justice groups called for his immediate release.
Amnesty International Kenya added its voice to the growing calls for justice. In a statement released on June 27, the rights group said Kinyagia was last seen on June 21, two days after his social media post.
According to the statement, individuals suspected to be DCI officers raided his home in Kinoo. Amnesty Kenya demanded that if Kinyagia was arrested for any reason, he should be presented in court rather than being detained without communication.
Witnesses said several Subaru vehicles—believed to belong to security agencies—were spotted outside his residence during the alleged raid. It is reported that his final communication was with his mother at around 1:00 PM on Saturday, June 21.
Despite the growing public outcry, the National Police Service and the Directorate of Criminal Investigations have not released any official statement regarding his arrest or current location.
Their continued silence has only deepened public concern and suspicion over the activist’s fate.
Judge Mwita’s order is seen as a critical step in holding top security officials accountable and ensuring that the rights of citizens, particularly activists, are respected and protected.
The court’s intervention may now compel the police to break their silence and shed light on the mystery surrounding Ndiangui Kinyagia’s disappearance.
Join Gen Z New WhatsApp Channel To Stay Updated On time
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30