After spending 13 long years on death row in Saudi Arabia, Kenyan national Stephen Munyakho is finally set to return home, thanks to combined efforts from the Kenyan government and various supporters who worked tirelessly to secure his freedom.
Munyakho, who was jailed back in 2012, faced the death penalty after being convicted of murdering a Yemeni national. Under Saudi Arabian law, he was required to pay diyya—commonly known as blood money—amounting to KSh150 million to the victim’s family. If the compensation had not been raised, he would have faced execution.
On Tuesday, Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Dr. Kipkorir Sing’Oei officially confirmed the news of Munyakho’s release, stating that the court’s demands had been fully met and the Kenyan was no longer on death row.
“Steve Abdukareem Munyakho, a Kenyan citizen who had been sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia, is now free as of 10 a.m. today after the judicial decree was completely satisfied,” said Sing’Oei in a public statement.
While he did not clarify whether the release was the result of the blood money being paid in full or the outcome of diplomatic negotiations, the PS noted that the government would soon share more information regarding Munyakho’s return home.
Sing’Oei also added that shortly after his release, Munyakho performed Umrah, the Islamic minor pilgrimage, indicating a significant spiritual moment for him. “We will communicate further details about his arrival in Kenya. I wish to thank all those who supported the efforts to make this outcome possible,” he said.
Years of Appeals, Negotiations & Community Support
Munyakho’s release is the result of years of behind-the-scenes lobbying, humanitarian advocacy, and financial support from concerned citizens, religious organizations, and government officials.
His story became a national concern when his mother, renowned journalist Dorothy Kweyu, publicly appealed for government intervention to save her son from execution.
Earlier this year, in March, United Democratic Alliance (UDA) Secretary-General Hassan Omar revealed during a Ramadan Iftar event at State House that the Muslim World League had stepped in to help.
According to Omar, after intense negotiations between Kenyan officials, the Saudi government, and the Muslim World League, a total of KSh129.5 million (approximately $1 million) was paid to secure Munyakho’s release.
He added that the talks were coordinated at the highest levels of leadership, hinting at the involvement of President William Ruto himself.
This development has been seen as a major diplomatic achievement, highlighting how sustained dialogue and compassion can bring justice and hope even in the most difficult international legal situations.
Join Gen Z New WhatsApp Channel To Stay Updated On time https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30