Some government workers could soon be required to pay back the salaries they have earned over the years if it is found that they were receiving pay without actually doing any work. This warning was issued by Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale, who also said that those involved will face legal action.
Duale made these remarks on Friday, August 1, during an official ceremony at Afya House in Nairobi. The event marked the send-off of 316 Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) graduates.
During his speech, the CS revealed that the government is preparing a serious crackdown on ghost workers, especially those linked to the Universal Health Coverage (UHC) programme.
He acknowledged that there have been delays in making UHC staff permanent and pensionable. However, he clarified that the delay was due to a detailed vetting and verification process being carried out by the Ministry of Health to ensure only genuine workers are absorbed.
“I have already secured funds through Parliament to offer permanent and pensionable positions to UHC workers,” said Duale. “But we can’t rush this process. We are currently carrying out a thorough vetting and verification to ensure only the right people are absorbed.”
The Cabinet Secretary stressed that the Ministry is focused on cleaning up the staff records within the UHC programme. He mentioned that many individuals were listed as employees and had been receiving salaries without actually reporting to work.
“So far, the number of people who are supposed to be working under UHC and the number of people who have been paid do not match. We are discovering thousands of ghost workers,” he said.
Duale further warned that anyone who has been receiving a salary under the UHC programme without being a qualified health professional, especially if they are not trained nurses, will face legal consequences. These individuals will be required to pay back all the money they have illegally earned over the years.
“If you are not a qualified nurse and have been taking money meant for UHC staff, the law will catch up with you. You must return that money,” he warned.
He also gave an update on the verification exercise, saying that it was almost complete. He assured UHC staff that, once the process concludes, those who qualify will be formally employed on permanent and pensionable terms starting next week.
The problem of ghost workers within the health sector was earlier brought into the spotlight by Tharaka Nithi Governor Muthomi Njuki.
He reported the existence of over 3,000 ghost workers in his county’s health department, all under the UHC programme. Governor Njuki, who also chairs the Council of Governors’ Health Committee, confirmed that the issue was widespread and needed urgent action.
During the same event, Duale also addressed the government’s decision to cancel the appointments of over 300 nursing interns.
He clarified that some of these individuals had only completed their academic programs but had not officially graduated. Yet, they had already been posted, which raised serious concerns.
“We had to revoke their appointments because their posting was influenced by corruption within the system. Some of them had not even graduated.
Just completing your course does not qualify you for an internship. We will only post interns who have officially graduated and can present a valid certificate,” Duale explained.
He emphasized that moving forward, only qualified graduates with proper documentation will be considered for posting as interns.
This, he said, is part of the Ministry’s broader effort to ensure transparency, accountability, and professionalism in the health sector.
Join Gen Z New WhatsApp Channel To Stay Updated On time
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30