Tension gripped Nairobi’s Central Business District (CBD) on Sunday, August 24, after a gang of armed men stormed Kimathi Street and robbed traders in broad daylight.
Business owners are now counting heavy losses after the attackers allegedly broke into several shops and looted valuable goods.
According to witnesses, the group of attackers appeared outside Nanak House, directly opposite the Sarova Stanley Hotel.
Some of them had their faces covered with masks while others openly carried knives. Before launching their assault, the group was heard chanting the word “wantam”, a popular slogan currently used to mock President William Ruto.
Shocked traders recalled how the men sang in unison before suddenly attacking shops located within Nanak House. The building hosts several small businesses, including clothing stalls, cosmetic shops, and general merchandise stores.
The gang reportedly threatened traders with knives, forcing them to surrender, before carting away items in sacks.
Photos and videos shared with Newshub.co.ke captured the aftermath of the attack, showing shattered windows, broken doors, and destroyed furniture both inside and outside the affected premises. The scenes revealed the scale of destruction left behind by the group.
One terrified trader narrated her experience:
“I heard them outside chanting ‘wantam’. Then one of the men came into my shop, grabbed me by the neck, and threatened to stab me with a knife. Soon after, more of them forced their way in, shut the door, and started packing all my goods into sacks. They took everything.”
Business people in the area revealed that such incidents have been on the rise. They expressed frustration that despite reporting cases of violence and theft to the authorities, no concrete action has been taken to protect them. Many now say they fear for their safety and the survival of their businesses.
This is not the first time Nairobi residents have witnessed such chaos. Just last month, on July 20, a similar wave of attacks hit Mukuru kwa Reuben, where goons raided private businesses and looted goods estimated to be worth over Ksh 4.8 million. The stolen items included electronics and other high-value products.
During that July incident, more than 10 traders and at least 46 employees were left stranded after their businesses were ransacked. Some workers suddenly found themselves jobless, while business owners said they could not recover their losses.
Witnesses of the Mukuru kwa Reuben attack recalled that the gang struck early in the morning, around 8 a.m., barely three hours after businesses had opened. They used stones and weapons to intimidate anyone who resisted, leaving some victims injured.
“We had started work at 5 a.m. like normal. Then around 8, a group of strange people stormed in, throwing stones at us and scaring everyone away. They looted everything we had worked hard for,” one business owner recounted.
For many of the traders, these businesses were their only means of survival. After the robbery, they said they could barely provide for their families, buy food, or cover rent, leading to extreme financial hardship.
Following the Mukuru kwa Reuben incident, security agencies announced investigations to trace and arrest those behind the attacks. However, the latest incident in the CBD has raised fresh concerns that criminal gangs are growing bolder, targeting businesses even in the heart of the capital city.
Business owners now demand urgent intervention from security agencies, warning that if these attacks are not stopped, livelihoods will continue to be destroyed and investor confidence in Nairobi will sharply decline.
Join Government Official WhatsApp Channel To Stay Updated On time
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30