Kapseret Member of Parliament Oscar Sudi has declared that he will no longer take part in church fundraisers, commonly known in Kenya as harambees. Instead, he says he will put all his energy into holding economic empowerment forums aimed at uplifting his constituents.
Speaking on Wednesday, August 27, Sudi explained that his decision was influenced by recent criticism directed at the government by religious leaders. He made it clear that beginning next year, he would not attend any church fundraising event, adding that his priority will now shift to creating opportunities that directly benefit the people of Kapseret.
“From next year, no one should invite me to their church fundraiser because I will not attend. I want to concentrate on initiatives that empower youth, women, and the elderly in my constituency,” the MP said. “We are Christians, yes, but we must also prioritize empowering our people economically. If we support individuals to grow their businesses or improve their lives, then they will be in a position to give their offertory in church from their own efforts,” he added.
Sudi’s latest stance has raised eyebrows because he is widely known for his heavy involvement in church fundraisers, often contributing large sums of money. His donations have previously sparked national debate, with critics questioning both the amounts and the source of his funds.
In 2024, the Kapseret legislator made headlines when reports surfaced that he had donated Ksh20 million to a church fundraiser. The contribution attracted strong reactions, including a sharp rebuke from Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale, who questioned the source of such a large sum. The incident fueled public debate, with many Kenyans demanding transparency about how politicians raise and use their money.
At the time, Sudi defended himself by saying he enjoyed giving to churches, a habit he claimed to have learned from President William Ruto, who was well known for his large church donations even before becoming Head of State. However, Sudi later clarified that he had not personally given the entire Ksh20 million, but that the amount represented the total contributions collected during that particular fundraiser.
This is not the first time Sudi has threatened to distance himself from such activities. In an earlier announcement, he said he would take a two-year break from harambees and only return to them in 2024. In a selfie video he shared on social media, the outspoken legislator even hinted at quitting politics altogether, arguing that politics had drained him financially and forced him to spend more on campaigns and contributions than on his own personal life.
By stepping away from harambees, Sudi now wants to redirect his resources toward programs that he believes will have a more lasting impact on the community.
He insists that economic empowerment should come before public fundraising, signaling a major shift in his political approach as he moves into the coming year.
Join Government Official WhatsApp Channel To Stay Updated On time
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30