Kalonzo Vows to Challenge Mbeere North and Malava By-Election Results in Court
Wiper Party leader Kalonzo Musyoka has announced that the United Opposition will move to court to challenge what they believe was clear interference in the Mbeere North and Malava by-elections.
He went as far as accusing President William Ruto of directly influencing the outcome of the vote.
Speaking on Sunday, November 30, during a public event in Machakos County, Kalonzo said they had credible evidence showing that President Ruto allegedly called a local police commander in Mbeere North.
According to him, the call was meant to sway the final results in favour of UDA candidate Leo Wamuthende. He described the alleged action as a serious form of state interference involving senior government officials.
Kalonzo insisted that the ruling party did not genuinely win the two by-elections.
“William Ruto knows very well that UDA did not win in Mbeere and did not win in Malava,” he said.
He added that the opposition was preparing a strong and detailed petition that would highlight the misconduct they believe took place. “We are going to present a very serious approach to this matter. We will petition, and we will clearly name the ministers who took part in these activities.
A public officer should never misuse their position to harm citizens. Kenyans understand who betrayed them,” he stated.
In their petition, Kalonzo said, the opposition intends to name specific Cabinet Secretaries and government officers whom they accuse of abusing their authority during the by-elections.
He also noted that incidents where opposition leaders were tear-gassed and confronted by police officers would form part of their complaint.
Kalonzo stressed that their petition would not be symbolic but a genuine effort to expose individuals whom he believes acted against the interests of Kenyans.
He said the aim was to hold powerful people accountable and to ensure that elections remain free, fair, and without undue influence from state machinery.
His remarks come just days after the November 27 by-elections, which saw various government officials—including several Cabinet Secretaries—openly campaign for UDA candidates.
Some leaders even publicly stated that they had personal and political interests in the contests, arguing that the law allows CSs and county executives to take part in political activities.
One of them, Public Service Cabinet Secretary Geofrey Ruku, had earlier said in a November 10 interview:
“I am very interested in the Mbeere North by-election because the people there know what we need. I have been actively involved in the campaigns. The law allows CSs and CECs to participate in politics.”
Kalonzo also pushed back against claims that the opposition lacks a meaningful agenda. He said their priorities remain clear—fighting against overtaxation, resisting what they see as the government’s forced housing plan, and standing with Kenyans who feel burdened by rising costs.
He concluded his statement by congratulating the Machakos Governor and the county leadership for their strong performance in the local elections.
He highlighted the victory of Mumbuni North MCA-elect Antony Kasai, who won on a Wiper Party ticket, as proof that their influence in the region continues to grow.
Join Gen z Official WhatsApp Channel to share your thoughts and stay updated on time
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30

