Another tragic incident has occurred at Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH), where a male patient was reportedly murdered inside one of the hospital’s wards.
This marks the second time this year that a patient has died under suspicious circumstances at Kenya’s largest referral hospital, triggering renewed fears over the safety of patients in the facility.
According to information from the authorities, the latest victim was a 52-year-old man who was found dead in his hospital bed at Ward Seven.
Witnesses revealed that the deceased patient had a physical disability. Security teams, led by detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI), have since pitched camp at the hospital to piece together what happened and identify those responsible for the shocking incident.
KNH Chief Executive Officer William Sigilai issued a statement confirming the death. He said the patient’s body was discovered shortly after visiting hours, at around 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 17, 2025. “We are deeply saddened to confirm a tragic incident involving the death of a patient at Kenyatta National Hospital,” Sigilai stated.
“On the afternoon of July 17, immediately after visiting hours at around 2 p.m., the patient was found in his bed with blood-soaked beddings. Medical staff attended to the patient, but unfortunately, he had already passed away,” he added.
The hospital management immediately notified the Directorate of Criminal Investigations and other relevant security bodies about the disturbing case. Sigilai extended the hospital’s heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family, saying, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the deceased during this very painful time.”
He also gave an assurance that the hospital is treating the matter with the seriousness it deserves and will be sharing updates with the public as the investigation progresses. “We are committed to ensuring patient safety, and we are cooperating fully with law enforcement agencies to uncover the truth,” the CEO emphasized.
This latest incident has intensified concerns over the hospital’s internal security systems, especially considering a similar murder took place just a few months ago.
In February 2025, another patient was found dead inside the same Ward Seven after being stabbed by an unknown assailant.
The brutal attack reportedly happened on the night of Thursday, February 6. Initial investigations pointed to a possible security failure that allowed an unidentified individual to enter the ward and kill the patient using a kitchen knife.
Back then, the hospital released a statement expressing sadness and concern. “We are deeply saddened to confirm an incident involving the tragic death of a patient at the Kenyatta National Hospital,” the CEO said at the time.
He added that the hospital had started working closely with the police to get to the bottom of the incident and also launched its own internal investigations to understand how such a violent act could occur within hospital premises.
Now, with a second murder happening within months—and in the same ward—members of the public are demanding urgent answers and better security at the hospital to prevent further tragedies.
The KNH management insists it is doing everything possible to ensure the safety of patients and staff and to support the affected families. However, these back-to-back incidents are fueling serious concerns about the hospital’s ability to guarantee the security of those under its care.
Join Gen Z & Millennials New WhatsApp Channel To Stay Updated On time
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaWT5gSGufImU8R0DO30